Low Level Laser Therapy
The benefits for your patients are clear-cut and clinically proven. Low Level Laser therapy will decrease (or eliminate) pain and inflammation, increase cellular ATP, re-energize damaged cells walls allowing osmosis to occur, relax both smooth and striated muscle tissues, enhance lymphatic drainage, and speed bone and hard tissue repair.
What Is Low Level Laser Therapy?
Low Level Laser therapy is photochemical, not thermal. Photons enter tissue and are absorbed by the cell mitochondria. Photon energy is converted to chemical energy in the cell in the form of ATP.
The word LASER is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Laser is the name of a device projecting intense radiation of the visible, ultraviolet, or infrared portions of the light spectrum. The laser instrument produces a very thin beam of light in which high energies are concentrated. The laser light, when reduced in its energy output to a low level, may be utilized for tissue healing and repair, shrinking tumors, eradicating infections, and other therapeutic purposes. For bringing about health enhancement, the application of these amazing beams of light is called "Low Level Laser Therapy."
The Physiological Repair Effects of Low Level Laser Therapy
In Laser Therapy, Jan Turner & Lars Rode (Prima Books) write that Low Level Laser therapy:
- Reduces pain by causing the production of endorphins ÷ our natural pain killers
- Reduces inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and enhancing the release of anti-inflammatory enzymes
- Enhances lymphatic drainage thereby increasing circulation and speeding healing
- Stimulates the release of helpful healing enzymes
- Releases tight muscles (both smooth and striated) that help create chronic pain, joint problems and decreased mobility
- Speeds bone repair by stimulating fibroblastic and osteoblastic proliferation
- In the correct frequency appears to be antiviral, antifungal and antiherpetic.
Dr. Morton Walker, DPM, writing in The Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients (The Beneficial Applications of Low Level Laser Therapy, Nov 2002, #232, p. 94-100):
"...low level laser therapy reenergizes (re-polarizes) injured cell membranes and increases the mitochondria energy by up to 150% which speeds and improves the healing process. "